Thursday, 26 August 2010

KA Newsletter - August 2010

Tuesday, 24 August 2010

'All Sewn Up' Project - New courses starting in September 2010

Friday, 20 August 2010

Reminder: Charity Auction - Thursday 16th September 2010

Lollard Street Adventure Playground : Family Fun Day : Tuesday 24th August

Dear Friends,

Lollard Street Adventure Playground is holding a Family Fun Day
on
Tuesday 24th August 12.30-4.30pmto celebrate the work of this great community resource for local children.

Volunteers
are needed to help set up beforehand
and to supervise stalls / activities during the event.
If you could offer your services, in any way
(setting up stalls, supervising the bouncy castle, assisting with the barbeque etc.)
please come to the playground at 10.00am on Tuesday 24th Aug.

We do not expect you stay all day although you are welcome to do so.
Any time you can spare would be warmly appreciated.

Hope to see you there.


FOLSAP Funday flyer 100824.jpg

Monday, 16 August 2010

Tube line cleared for runaway train


August 13, 2010

Tube line cleared for runaway train

By Peter Woodman, PA

A runaway train went through six stops on a 13-minute journey on the Tube today with other Underground trains having to be cleared out of its path.
The unmanned engineering train, used for maintenance, began to move southbound from Archway station on the Northern line.
London Underground (LU) staff took an operational decision to let the train continue and diverted trains on to another branch of the Northern line while clearing trains from the Charing Cross branch on which the runaway train had been diverted.
The train eventually came to a stand at Warren Street station. LU and the Rail Accident Investigation Bureau have launched an investigation into the incident and LU has suspended the use of all engineering trains of this type.
LU said the train had become defective at 5.25am today as it approached Archway. Engineers began to move the train northbound by coupling it to an out-of-service Northern line train.
LU went on: "However, for reasons that are now under investigation, at around 6.44am the engineering train became detached from the Northern line train and began to move southbound.
"LU staff undertook a swift assessment of the incident and an operational decision was made to allow the train to continue, until it came to a stand at Warren Street on the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line, which it did at 6.57am."
LU continued: "Throughout the incident, LU staff monitored the situation, including the position of passenger trains. LU staff moved to divert passenger trains to the City branch, and direct the engineering train to the Charing Cross branch where passenger trains had been cleared. Services on the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line were then suspended.
The incident involved the suspension of the Northern line between Finchley Central and Archway and Camden Town to Kennington via Charing Cross - a suspension that was still in place by late morning.
LU director Richard Parry said: "Safety is our top priority, and we have of course launched an immediate and thorough investigation into this incident to establish the cause.
"Once that investigation is complete, we will publish the report, making its conclusions and recommendations clear. In the meantime we have prohibited the use of this design of engineering train on the Underground.
"From the start of this incident, an immediate assessment was made and operational decisions taken to minimise the safety risk to our customers and staff.
"Our engineers are working to restore full services as soon as possible, and we apologise for the inconvenience caused to our customers while we investigate this incident."
Pat Sikorski, assistant general secretary of the RMT transport union, said: "We are appalled and horrified at this major incident during passenger traffic hours and which could have very easily resulted in disaster.
"The runaway train, which it is suspected broke loose from a failed emergency coupling, represents a safety failure of the highest order. We understand that a collision with a passenger service train leaving Archway was only narrowly avoided."
Mr Sikorski said the RMT was "seeking urgent answers as to whether or not third party contractors were involved in this incident - particularly as the findings from Potters Bar (rail crash) ruled that third party contractors should not be involved in rail maintenance works".
He went on: "This horrific failure comes against a background of a systematic reduction in safety-critical jobs and safety procedures as a direct result of Transport for London's (TfL) financial cuts programme. In the light of this morning's events it is essential that TfL call a halt to their cuts plans and bring an end to the dilution of Tube safety."

Runaway train causes havoc on the Tube after careering through six stations with no driver

 

Runaway train causes havoc on the Tube after careering through six stations with no driver

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 10:23 PM on 13th August 2010
 
Disaster was narrowly avoided on the Tube this morning when a runaway train careered four miles through six stations as other trains were cleared from its path.
The unmanned engineering train began to move southbound from Archway station on the Northern line just before 7am as thousands of commuters began to pack stations.
London Underground staff decided to allow the train to continue, diverting it on to the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line and diverted other trains on to the Bank branch.
The runaway eventually came to a halt at Warren Street station - having passed through Tufnell Park, Kentish Town, Camden Town, Mornington Crescent and Euston stations as bemused commuters looked on.
Warren Street Tube station
End of the line: The engineering train ran from Archway station southwards down to Warren Street, where it eventually came to a halt
Engineering train
Free run: An Underground engineering train was allowed to run free for four miles
One early-morning passenger said: 'I was on the Tube ahead of the runaway train and we jumped seven stops.
'The driver told us that we had to move at the front of the carriage immediately as we had an emergency.'
The Rail Accident Investigation Bureau and LU have suspended the use of all engineering trains of this type.
A spokesman said the train had become defective at 5.25am today as it approached Archway.
Engineers began to move the train northbound by coupling it to an out-of-service Northern line train.
map
He added: 'However, for reasons that are now under investigation, at around 6.44am the engineering train became detached from the Northern line train and began to move southbound.
'Staff undertook a swift assessment of the incident and an operational decision was made to allow the train to continue, until it came to a stand at Warren Street on the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line, which it did at 6.57am.
'Throughout the incident, LU staff monitored the situation, including the position of passenger trains.
'LU staff moved to divert passenger trains to the City branch, and direct the engineering train to the Charing Cross branch where passenger trains had been cleared.

'The runaway train... represents a safety failure of the highest order. We understand that a collision with a passenger service train leaving Archway was only narrowly avoided'

 
'Services on the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line were then suspended.'
The incident involved the suspension of the Northern line between Finchley Central and Archway and Camden Town to Kennington via Charing Cross.
LU director Richard Parry said: 'Safety is our top priority, and we have of course launched an immediate and thorough investigation into this incident to establish the cause.
'From the start of this incident, an immediate assessment was made and operational decisions taken to minimise the safety risk to our customers and staff.'
But the RMT Union was 'appalled and horrified' by the incident.
Assistant General Secretary Pat Sikorski said it 'could have very easily resulted in disaster'.

35% RISE IN COMMUTERS


London commuter numbers are set to grow by 35 per cent by 2035, the document forecast.
Regional urban commuting to cities such as Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow is expected to see growth of more than 100 per cent, with growth on some routes of 115 per cent.
It was also forecast that the amount of freight moved by rail could double by 2030.
Entitled Planning Ahead the document was prepared by an industry steering group, led by Network Rail (NR), the Association of Train Operating Companies (Atoc) and the Rail Freight Operators' Association.
'The runaway train... represents a safety failure of the highest order.
'We understand that a collision with a passenger service train leaving Archway was only narrowly avoided.
'The overnight works were the responsibility of TfL subsidiary Tube Lines, managed by the private company Amey, and RMT are seeking urgent answers as to whether or not third party contractors were involved in this incident - particularly as the findings from Potters Bar ruled that third party contractors should not be involved in rail maintenance works.
'This horrific failure comes against a background of a systematic reduction in safety-critical jobs and safety procedures as a direct result of TfL’s financial cuts programme.

'In the light of this morning’s events it is essential that TfL call a halt to their cuts plans and bring an end to the dilution of Tube safety.'
Train passenger numbers could double in the next 25 years, a rail industry planning document predicted today.
 

Schools' builds U-turn

News
Schools' builds U-turn
Friday, 13 August 2010
Lilian Baylis School is one of three in Lambeth where rebuilding work will take place
Lilian Baylis School is one of three in Lambeth where rebuilding work will take place
THREE school rebuilds will go ahead after the Government made a U-turn on its decision to axe funding for the work.
They were among 11 projects to refurbish and rebuild secondary schools in Lambeth that were dropped or put under review on July 5.
But now Dunraven School in Leigham Court Road, Streatham; Lilian Baylis School in Kennington Lane, Oval; and Norwood School in Crown Dale, Norwood, will get the cash.
Education Secretary Michael Gove delivered the news on Friday 'but eight other school improvement projects in the borough will not go ahead.
Mr Gove said the decision applied to 33 schools in the country which were closest to having their improvement work begin.
He said: Planning for these projects is well advanced and we are keen they should proceed without further delay.
I know how hard councils and schools have worked on these projects.
I have been anxious to ensure we can do everything we can to support the crucial work of raising educational standards.
Revamps planned for Archbishop Tenison's in Oval, Bishop Thomas Grant in Streatham, Charles Edward Brooke in Stockwell, La Retraite in Clapham Park and Lansdowne in Stockwell, London Nautical School in Waterloo, St Martin in the Fields in Tulse Hill, Turney School in West Dulwich still have no Government funding.
The future of a controversial £45million project to flatten Fenstanton Primary School in Abbots Park, Tulse Hill, and build two new schools on the site also remains on hold.
Councillor Pete Robbins, Lambeth's Labour cabinet member for children and young people said:
This is obviously good news for the three schools.
We remain hopeful that funding for Fenstanton can also be found.
We will continue to lobby the Government for more funds to ensure all our schools are modern and well equipped so that we can provide the best futures possible for Lambeth's young people.
Email: nadia.gilani@slp.co.uk

For the full story, you can get a full online edition at www.slp-e-edition.co.uk
http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/news.cfm?id=28695 

Growing number of expelled kids could see nursery moved


News
Growing number of expelled kids could see nursery moved
Friday, 06 August 2010
Parents and pupils at Kennington Park Children's Centre (Hannah Jones)
Parents and pupils at Kennington Park Children's Centre (Hannah Jones)
A NURSERY could be moved so a primary school for expelled pupils can be expanded.
The plans have angered mums who have launched a petition against the plan.
The Kennington Park Bridge To School pupil referral unit in Kennington Park Gardens, Kennington, could see its intake doubled to 60.
But if Lambeth council's plans go ahead, the Kennington Park Children's Centre and day nursery on the referral unit site will have to move.
The council has suggested the nursery could reopen on the site of Henry Fawcett Primary School in Bowling Green Street, Kennington.
Trudy Lister, 41, who sends her daughter Ameille to the nursery, said hundreds of people had signed a petition against the council's proposal.
Ms Lister, of Conyers Road, Streatham, said: 'We haven't been told anything about these plans.
'Apparently the staff were told their jobs would be deleted, but they were warned by the council not to tell us anything.
'Parents are very unhappy indeed.'
Ms Lister said parents of kids who use the nursery had volunteered to transform its gardens, creating new flowers beds and an allotment.
They got grants for the work, and Ms Lister said she goes to the nursery twice a week to help toddlers and parents grow vegetables.
The council wants to add 30 places to Kennington Park Bridge To School as 'younger and younger' pupils in the borough are being expelled.
The proposal to expand the referral unit would cost £695,000, according to a report adopted at the council's cabinet meeting on Monday last week.
Cabinet member for children and young people Councillor Pete Robbins said: 'This plan is a long way from being implemented.
'We are at the start of the consultation period and have still to secure the money to expand.
'But if we do [expand] then we would need the space created by the Kennington Park Children's Centre to do so.'
Email: clare.casey@slp.co.uk

For the full story, you can get a full online edition at www.slp-e-edition.co.uk
http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/news.cfm?id=28249 

WARTIME FARM RECREATED IN PARK


You are here: Southwark \ News \ WARTIME FARM RECREATED IN PARK

News

WARTIME FARM RECREATED IN PARK

WARTIME FARM RECREATED IN PARK
5 August 2010
John Prendergas
johnp@southwarknews.org

A 1940s wartime farm will be recreated in Kennington, to demonstrate how people made food go a long way when rationing began to bite.

Animals from Surrey Docks Farm will help produce that authentic farmyard feeling, as Land Girls and smallholders recount how they were suddenly forced to live a very different life.

Want to read more? click to read our Southwark News digital edition

Tuesday, 10 August 2010

Lollard Street Adventure Playground: Family Fun Day - Tuesday 24th August 12.30-4.30pm

Monday, 9 August 2010

KA Annual Charity Auction Thursday 16th September City & Guilds of London Art School 124 Kennington Park Road, London SE11 4DJ Sponsored by Belgrave Hotel

Tuesday, 3 August 2010

Become a 'Secret Santa'!

Diary Date: CHARITY AUCTION City & Guilds of London Art School - Thursday 16th September 6.30pm to 8.30pm