11 October 2009

Teen spirit: Anthony Cadien, 18

Teen spirit: Anthony Cadien, 18

'I came up with a plan: hang out with the smart geeky kids and get all the brains'

Teen boys Anthony Cadien

Anthony Cadien. Photograph: Caroline Irby

Lives in Kennington, south London, and has music lessons with the organisation Kids Company.

Do you have a girlfriend?
No, I have a boyfriend. From the age of 15, it was just boys, boys, boys.

Did you enjoy school?
I didn't at the start, then I came up with a plan: hang out with the smart geeky kids and get all the brains.

What's your dream job?
My mission before I die would be to play something [on the piano] that I made up, in front of a big audience. But there's too much competition, so I'll become an accountant instead.

What music do you like to listen to?
Classical.

When did you laugh the most this week, and why?
I was in Portsmouth [with my boyfriend] and we went in the sea in wet suits. He was showing me how to float. I was giggling cos there's tens of thousands of people watching, thinking, "What are those two faggots doing?"

When are you happiest?
When I'm with him.

When was the last time you cried?
Two hours ago. I was thinking about what I really want to do in life and when it's going to happen.

Have you been stopped by the police?
Yes. The first time they saw me carrying a TV and thought, "Black boy, TV… doesn't make sense", but I was being the delivery boy for a family friend [who was] moving house. Two occasions they stopped me for weed; another for not having a bus pass.

What is the best piece of advice you've received?
Life is not a rehearsal, so anything you do, know that it's done and you can't change it.

• Thanks to kidsco.org.uk


No comments: