To all 4,100 of you who answered my cry from the heart - thank you

By Liz Jones
Last updated at 12:33 AM on 16th May 2010


I wrote last week in You magazine how I felt close to suicide. The final straw had come at NatWest when Paula refused to let me withdraw £20 to get me through the next few days. I begged. I reminded her I’d been a customer since 1978. All to no avail.
I was in despair. I had no one to turn to. I won’t go into why I found myself unable to afford food, heating, petrol. I can only say I was landed with a huge project with no warning, and stupidly continued
it so as not to throw a dozen or so people out of work. Disillusioned with humanity, I had started to rescue more animals, a compulsion that has also contributed to my financial demise.
bankrupt
'Being in debt is worse than anything I¿ve experienced' says Liz Jones. (Picture posed by model)
I woke last Sunday in my usual morass of extreme doom laced with high anxiety. Banks, credit-card companies, mortgage arrears counsellors and debt collectors (‘Liz, love,’ Mr Davis, who I’ve come to know intimately, would say, almost daily: ‘Is there anything you can pay, anything at all?’) no longer have a day of rest, which means the harassment knows no bounds.
Being in debt is worse than anything I’ve experienced. When you’re ill, or get divorced, or lose a parent, others are sympathetic. When you have no money, people assume it’s because you’re lazy, or profligate. I’d got to the point where I couldn’t cope.
I sat down at my computer. There were 4,100 new emails in my inbox.
I opened the first. ‘Liz, I have a two-bedroom flat in Kennington you’re welcome to share.’ The next read: ‘As we’re pensioners we’d be unable to solve your long-term problem but can send some money towards food and petrol. Patrick and Rita.’
And: ‘I’ve sent £20. Please don’t return it – I wanted to show you not all people are greedy. I’d like you to enjoy a bottle of wine, and battle on! Ann.’
And: ‘I developed breast cancer triggered by stress and depression due to money worries. Thank God I beat it eventually. A concerned reader.’
And: ‘I work part-time at the Spar in Littleborough, Rochdale, and only get £46 a week but I’ve just bought you a Euro lotto ticket for this Friday. Kenneth.’
And: ‘I can let you have some money for food, and I do not want it back!!! I too have been without food, electric, hope! I’m a 63-year-old widow. I wish I could help more. Maria.’
And: ‘I’ve lost my company, my wife and my children. I get ten calls a day from debt collectors. In January I tried to take my own life. A.’
And: ‘I could do you a food parcel. It would be more Sainsbury’s than Harrods, but you could pick it up as you pass on the M4. David.’
And: ‘I’ve got a lovely flat in Shrewsbury. Would you like it for free, for a break? Karen.’
And: ‘My husband drove us to disastrous debt last year. We lost our home in February. I had 48 hours to pack my bags and get out with my two children. I’m so worried. AR.’ I kept reading.
‘Let me pay for the animals for a year. I want nothing in return.’ ‘Liz, I’ll send you £1,000 for the animals, as long as you don’t print my name.’
‘I could spare £100 a month for five months, does that help? Kim.’ ‘Liz, I have a £20 note in a drawer for emergencies, I want you to have this, because I know the despair of having no money and it’s a vile, sinking feeling.’
‘I’m a 77-year-old widow on a state pension, but I’d do anything for my cat, Josh. I’ve won £50 on Premium bonds and I want you to have it, so how can I get it to you? Catherine.’
‘I’m a 56-year-old disabled woman. My husband gave up work to care for me. Would you accept £50 from us?’
‘I have £20 to last me until the 24th when I might or might not be paid but you’re welcome to £10. Caroline.’
On Monday, in among the bills, were dozens of letters, mostly addressed to ‘Liz Jones, somewhere on Exmoor’. I opened the first. A £10 note tumbled out. ‘You worry me!’ wrote Carole.
‘Tinned dog food is expensive. Gracie stress wees because she needs more of you! Don’t you dare buy Cava with this!’
The next contained a scratch card. ‘I’m a pensioner. I lost my husband 20 years ago, and still miss him every day. I love collies. Love, Joyce, 87 years young!’
If I can’t return the money, I’ll donate it in all your names to Equine Market Watch (I’m patron), and Wiccaweys, which rescues Collies.
We’re always being told we live in a broken society.
That we’re greedy. My faith in human nature has been restored. Thank you, Joyce. Thank you, everyone.